Thursday, October 27, 2016

First Assassin Bugs and Molting Mantids

Today, I am now a proud owner of Orange spot assassin bugs (Platymeris sp. Mombo). These guys came into the mail via priority mail and now they have settled into their home. The seller even sent me two extra to come with the three nymphs.

I like how these are communal and that they're pretty easy to take care of. However, they do spit venom so I wear safety goggles for these. When I opened the box, they were pretty chill and cool. But when I was about to put them in their enclosure, they were kind of nervous to be in there. For the enclosure, I used two cork pieces (sheet rolls) and they seem to wait for their prey to get into striking range.
In shipping
 I have learned, from observation that once they settle into their habitat, they will constantly patrol that area. But they were one of the quickest insects to settle into a new home.
Them in their enclosure

My assassin bugs

My female L6-L7 mantis (Phyllocrania paradoxa)
The mantis as shown above has molted yesterday and is one step closer to an adult. Now with these mantids, they are an easy species to keep and I enjoy the cryptid look that they have. I also do have acromantis japonica, which will show up in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment