Thursday, December 22, 2016

Finals done and new rennovations

I have, done my finals for the semester. Now for that, I am going to start to save up for funds for use for mantids and supplies. Another thing is that I have, in the three acromantis japonica enclosures, put in bamboo sticks and cocofiber for the final molting stages. At first I was initially scared that the mantids will molt too low to the ground, but they molted pretty well. Another thing is that with the male ghost mantis, he doesn't seem to be molting despite my preparations. I might have to wait for this. Another thing is that I am trying to see if I am able to build an aquaponics system. The rhino beetles are doing well, but I am getting substrate in from Taiwan, but it is going to take up to two months.

Janie feeding off of a superworm
 With the female phyllocrania paradoxa, it has been a pain as she hasn't laid an ooth yet. I am hoping the male molts soon so I can mate them both. Also, I really do hope she is not oothbound.
One of my assassin bugs died, so I decided to pin him
 For the assassin bugs, I decided to upgrade there enclosure to a small kritter keeper. For that, I added coconut fiber, along with a coconut hut and a branch for them. The assassin bugs seem to hang out near the branch, probably due to it having more variations in where they can wait rather than the coconut fiber hut.
New enclosure for the assassin bugs

Pholicide spider I found a few days ago


My attempt to raise Triops
 I have decided that I will try to raise triops. As I did raise them back in 7th grade, but the electrical lamp shorted out and caused a fire. So I decided to try again.
Rhino beetle larvae 

My insect collection (without labels)
I have also finally finished the pinned insect collection. It looks really fantastic with all of the insects I have acquired along with my techniques actually being pretty good.

Saturday, December 10, 2016

Arizona vinegaroon and Helix aspersa

As I went in and cleaned all my enclosures, I decided to check on my M giganteus. Turns out that it has survived pretty well despite me forgetting to mist the enclosure at certain times. I find this species my first arachnid that I purchased a few months back. I peeked into it's burrow and it is hibernating and is really gravid. Also, I do plan on getting a few helix aspersa (from US sellers) and having those. They are the largest vinegaroon in the world, and they come right from Arizona.

mastigoproctus giganteus sling

Vinegaroon is in the top
For the enclosure, I chose a herphaven large breeder tank, and I used a divider so I can have two in total in the near future. In the top of the photo above the sentence, the one with the cave and the stone is where the first vinegaroon currently resides. The second tank, I used some of the old cocofiber for a helix aspersa snail tank.

Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Update on bugs/mantids

I have just obtained a pair of beetle larvae along with the rest of my assassin bugs molting to adulthood. My japonica have lagged in growing, but one of the males molted. As of now, I am investigating sources for mantid ooths. Also, I have been considering adding the orchid mantis and the indian flower mantis to the collection, along with expanding from a 20 gallon aquarium to a 40 gallon breeder tank. 

Jimmy

Jimmy

Female adult paradoxa "Jamie or Janie"

Beetle larvae in it's container